Samsung just announced its flagship Galaxy S22 and Galaxy S22+ 5G smartphones at its Galaxy Unpacked online event, as it had promised. These pack a 6.1 /6.6-inch FHD+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X Infinity-O flat Displays with 10-120Hz adaptive refresh rate. These are powered by Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 / Exynos 2200 4nm 5G SoCs depending on the market. The phones feature an in-display Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner and run Android 12 with OneUI 4.1.
The phone feature triple rear cameras with iconic Contour Cut design that blends the camera seamlessly into the housing, and have Armor Aluminum frame, which Samsung says is the strongest aluminum frame. The Galaxy S22 series is also the first smartphones to feature new Corning Gorilla Glass Victus+ on the front and back.
The phones feature a new 50-megapixel Dual Pixel primary sensor with OIS, 12-megapixel Ultra Wide Lens with a 120-degree field of view and a 10-megapixel Telephoto lens with 3x optical zoom and OIS. These also have a 10-megapixel Dual Pixel front-facing camera. These also support 8K video shooting. The new Auto Framing feature detects and tracks up to 10 people and automatically adjusts the camera’s focus, so your camera captures everyone clearly. Both devices are powered by advanced VDIS technology which minimizes vibrations, so you get smooth, sharp footage even when you’re on the move.
The S22+ has Ultra-wideband capabilities (UWB) and Wi-Fi 6E. Both the phones feature a glass back and come with IP68 ratings for dust and water resistance. The Galaxy S22 has a 3700mAh battery with support for 25W fast charging and the Galaxy S22+ packs a 4500mAh battery with support for 45W fast charging. Both the phones feature a 15W wireless and reverse wireless charging.
Samsung Galaxy S22 and Galaxy S22+ specifications
- S22 — 6.1-inch FHD+ Infinity-O Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display, 10-120Hz adaptive refresh rate, 240Hz Touch Sampling Rate in Game Mode, up to 1300 nits brightness, Gorilla Glass Victus+ protection
- S22+ — 6.6-inch FHD+ Infinity-O Dynamic AMOLED Display, 10-120Hz adaptive refresh rate, 240Hz Touch Sampling Rate in Game Mode, up to 1750 nits brightness, Gorilla Glass Victus+ protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 4nm Mobile Platform / Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 2200 processor
- 8GB RAM with 128GB/256GB storage
- Android 12 with One UI 4.1
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 50MP rear camera with LED Flash, 1/1.57″ 1um ISOCELL GN5 sensor, f/1/8 aperture, OIS, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide sensor, f/2.2 aperture, 10MP Telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture, 3x optical zoom, OIS, 4K 60 fps, 8K 30fps
- 10MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Dust and Water resistant (IP68)
- S22 Dimensions: 146×70.6×7.6mm; Weight: 168g
- S22+ Dimensions: 157.4×75.8×7.6mm; Weight: 196g
- 5G SA/NSA, 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 (Wi-Fi 6E in S22+) 802.11ax (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2, UWB (S22+ only), GPS + GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST
- 3700mAh (S22) / 4500mAh (S22+) battery with support for 25W (S22) / 45W (S22+) fast charging, 15W Qi wireless charging, Wireless PowerShare
The Samsung Galaxy S22 and S22+ come in Phantom White, Phantom Black, Green and Pink Gold colors. There are Online exclusive colors – Cream, Graphite, Sky Blue and Violet depending on the country.
Pricing and availability
- Samsung Galaxy S22 8GB + 128GB – $799.99 (Rs. 59,865 approx.) / £769 (Rs. 77,994 approx.) / €849 (Rs. 72,660 approx.)
- Samsung Galaxy S22 8GB + 256GB – $849.99 (Rs. 63,610 approx.) / £819 (Rs. 83,102 approx.) / €899 (Rs. 76,955 approx.)
- Samsung Galaxy S22+ 8GB + 128GB – $999.99 (Rs. 74,830 approx.) / £949 (Rs. 96,290 approx.) / €1049 (Rs. 89,800 approx.)
- Samsung Galaxy S22+ 8GB + 256GB – $1049.99 (Rs. 78,570 approx.) / £999 (Rs. 1,01,355 approx.) / €1099 (Rs. 94,064 approx.)
The phones will be available to pre-order from today, February 9 and will start shipping from March 11 in several countries.